World Organisation Against Torture: Allegations of torture must be investigated

img

ANKARA - World Organisation Against Torture, sent a letter to President Erdoğan regarding the torture cases in Halfeti and Ankara, demanded a full investigation of the torture allegations.

 
 
World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), located in Switzerland, Geneva have sent a letter to Turkey regarding the torture and the ill- treatment cases in Halfeti and ANkara on June 6. OMCT demanded the cases to be investigated addressing the letter to AKP President and President Tayyip Erdoğan, Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality candidate and AKP MP Binali Yıldırım, President of the Constitutional Commission President Bekir Bozdağ and Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu.
 
 
'TORTURE IS BANNED IN TURKEY'S LAWS AS WELL'
 
The letter signed by the Executive Committee of OMCT is as follows: 
 
 
Your excellencies,
It is with a sense of urgency that we convey our deep concern regarding recent allegations of torture and other ill- treatment happening accross your country.
 
 
Between 18 and 21 may 2019, at least 51 persons, including the children, were detained in Halfeti, urfa , following the armed clashes between security forces and the PKK, during which a police officer as well as  two alleged PKK members were killed. Two other police officers were injured.
 
 
Images circulated on the internet and eyewitnesses' testimonies show that during the arrest the detainees were pushed to the floor, handcuffed behind their backs and kept on the ground in stress position for hours. Police officers allegedly also kicked punched and hit them with the butt of their weapons. Reportedly the beating continued at the Anti-Terrorism Unit Urfa Branch of the  Security Directorate where the detainees were  taken for interrogation. Some of them told their attorneys that the police threatened and blindfolded them and applied electricity to their bodies and genitals.
 
It was also reported that detainees were not allowed to be examined by a doctor without the presence of police officers and were denied access to legal counciling in the 24 hours after their arrest. When finally permitted to see a lawyer,the meeting was monitored by video surveillance. Lawyers acting on behalf of some of the detainees reported that many of the detainees presented visible injuries, cuts, bruises to their bodies,legs and faces but were terrified to speak out for fear of being exposed to even heavier torture.
 
 
At the time of the writing 33 people had been released. The remaining 13 are currently being held at the Şanlıurfa Hilvan Type T prison. 12 have been accused of being a part of a terrorist organisation under art 7 of the anti terrorism law, while one has been charged with insulting the president under art 299 of the penal code.
 
 
Moreover on 27 May 2019, the Ankara Bar Association published information about a separate case of torture  of dozens of dismissed diplomats held in custody at the Financial Crimes investgation Bureau of the Ankara General Directorate of Security.According to the report, which gathers the testimonies of six of the arrested individuals, the detainees were taken to interrogation during which they were subjected to psychological pressure and forced to sign confessions.
 
Five of the six people reported that they were also subjected to torture and ill- treatment. They told their lawyers that they were taken into a dark room, forced against a wall , handcuffed, and forced to crawl on the ground, beaten, hit on their heads with a baton, stripped and threatened with sexual torture. They could not see the faces of their torturers in the dark , however one of the detainees said the men identified themselves as 'a professional team from outside'. All 5 interviewees stated that they were examined by a doctor in the presence of police officers and that none of the medical reports mentioned any bruises or any signs of harm.
 
 
We would like to remind you that torture and other cruel,inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment is prohibited under international and domestic law of Turkey under any circumstances.
 
 
We therefore urge you to immediately take all necessary measures  to ensure the safety and physical integrity of those still detained and to provide them with immediate independent medical care. We further call for prompt , independent and thoughout investigations into all credible allegations of torture to ensure that all perpetrators are held accountable.
 
Yours sincerely,
OMCT Europe's Executive Council
 
 

View More Articles

05/06/2020
15:15 Police intervention against HDP press release in Diyarbakır
15:04 'The AKP destroys nature', says HDK on World Environment Day
13:42 DBP condemns decision to strip three MPs of immunity
13:36 March against the third coup in the Assembly: We will not kneel
11:27 2 day curfew in 15 provinces
11:26 HDP Ankara Provincial Organization calls to Güvenpark
11:24 Insult and battery in Kırşehir Prison, IHD report says
09:20 DTK condemns decision on Güven and Farisoğulları
09:13 21 more people die of coronavirus in Turkey
09:10 Stripped of MP status, HDP's Güven and Farisoğulları, CHP's Berberoğlu arrested
04/06/2020
16:54 Protest at the parliament: This is a coup
16:31 MP status stripped of, Leyla Güven: Berxwedan jiyan e
15:50 The immunities of Leyla Güven, Musa Farisoğulları and Enis Berberoğlu are lifted
12:58 Yeni Yaşam Newspaper back in newsstands on June 8
12:57 Former CHP politician faces up to three years in prison for sharing Bella Ciao
12:01 Grup Yorum: They can't silence us by banning our concerts
11:56 'Those who torture do not concern themselves with hiding their identity'
09:50 International support to death fasting lawyers
09:49 Turkey’s death toll from coronavirus rises to 4,609
09:48 51 women murdered in 71 days
09:47 Only 16 thousand of 29 thousand parliamentary questions answered by the Ministry
03/06/2020
16:52 Letters of Demirtaş cencored
13:37 Inflation rates exceeds expactations, climbs to 11.39 percent
12:06 13 percent of environmentalist activists end up dead, report says
12:05 ÖHD: 250 graves destroyed in Lice
11:11 Second man threatening the Dink Foundation arrested
11:11 Two men tortured by the police are remanded in custody
11:10 Latest news from Zînî Wertê
09:51 SOHR: New Turkish military reinforcements to Idlib
09:27 Lawyers applied to visit Imralı
09:26 HDP co-mayors of Kızıltepe and Savur remain in prison
09:25 Call from 1273 people for Timtik and Ünsal
08:30 22 more people die of coronavirus in Turkey
02/06/2020
17:13 106 investigations to the Peace Mother
16:10 No permission for the Grup Yorum concert by the Governor
12:40 Father Çakan prompted to say 'azan' and 'kurdish': But there is a music
01/06/2020
19:28 Barış Çakan's family confirms he was killed because he was listening to Kurdish music
13:11 Thousands of musicians joined the campaign for Öcalan
13:09 Barış Çakan statement from Governor's Office
12:35 Citizen having an open heart surgery 2 months ago arrested
12:11 HDP's Koç: AKP drags the country into a spiral of violence
12:10 Police kidnapped and buried sick prisoner Kartal
12:09 Police threatens young man he can't leave Anti-terror Branch alive
09:33 Young man listening to Kurdish music murdered
09:32 Turkey’s death toll from coronavirus rises to 4,540
31/05/2020
19:04 Demand of an Invesigation Commission for Efrîn
18:35 Prosecutor denied the custody of rap singer Rota
18:06 Police takes teenager into custody with rear-handcuffing
17:54 Gezi Park is closed
17:44 The suspect of the threat against Hint Foundation gave his statements