First arrest warrant in the Vartinis Massacre case 28 years later

  • actual
  • 13:21 21 September 2021
  • |
img

ANKARA - Muş Bar Association Chair lawyer Karaçelik: “We cannot say that justice has been fully served for the aggrieved party, but the ruling of arrest is still good news, considering that even a detention warrant is not issued in such grave cases.”

 
In the retrial over the Vartinis Massacre, the Kırıkkale 1st Heavy Penal Court has ruled that Bülent Karaoğlu, the then Hasköy Gendarmerie Commander and the only defendant of the case, shall be arrested.
 
Nine people, including seven children, were burned to death in Vartinis (Altınova) town in Turkey's Kurdish-majority eastern province of Muş in 1993, which has come to be known as the Vartinis Massacre.
 
Speaking to bianet following the hearing today (September 21), Muş Bar Chair Kadir Karaçelik, the lawyer of the aggrieved party, has said, "This is, of course, an injunction. We cannot say that justice has been fully served for the aggrieved party, but the ruling of arrest is still good news, considering that even a detention warrant is not issued in such grave cases."
 
WE EXPECT THE PROSECUTOR TO SPEED UP
 
Raising concerns that there is still a risk of expiry of statutory limitations, lawyer Karaçelik has said, "However, after the arrest warrant is executed, we expect that the process of trial will speed up and the ruling will be handed down in a few hearings. When the case is brought to the Court of Cassation, a ruling may be given quickly as the file was legally examined before."
 
COURT OF CASSATION: COMMANDER GAVE THE ORDER
 
The Chief Public Prosecutor's Office of the Court of Cassation indicated that an effective investigation or prosecution was not carried out into the incident and said that a retrial should be held.
 
In the trial over the killing of nine people by being burned to death in Vartinis in Muş province, the 1st Penal Chamber of the Court of Cassation concluded that Bülent Karaoğlu, the then Hasköy District Gendarmerie Commander, had been accountable for the massacre.
 
The Court of Cassation overturned the local court's ruling of acquittal, saying that "Karaoğlu gave the order to burn the village."
 
Following this ruling, the retrial over the Vartinis Massacre started at the Kırıkkale 1st Heavy Penal Court today (September 21).
 
In his statement at the hearing today, lawyer Kadir Karaçelik commented on one of the soldiers who submitted a petition, expressing his demand for being a witness again, after witnessing at the first stage of the trial.
 
"The defendant is putting pressure on the witnesses and wants them to change their statements. His attempted spoliation of evidence had already been proven. The Court of Cassation overturned the ruling so that a ruling of conviction could be given," the lawyer said.
 
"What are you waiting to arrest," he asked.
 
Karaçelik has told bianet that the soldier, when he first made a witness statement in the trial, said that "the defendant on trial was at the scene of the incident, they went to the village and an operation was launched."
 
As for the lawyer of the defendant, s/he said, "There is an atrocity but my client is not the only one responsible."
 
The court has rejected the defendant's request for hearing the witness again and ruled that the defendant shall be arrested.
 
The next hearing will be held on November 4, 2021.

View More Articles

04/03/2023
16:36 Attack of Turkey on Kobanê villages
16:35 Military operations continue in Yuksekova
16:15 One person detained due to the disappearance of Messe Hamvi
15:18 Body of Osman Manak laid to rest
14:59 2 people detained in Tunceli were arrested
14:57 'Government attacked journalists for not being heard of their incompetence'
14:16 Earthquake victim: We will never give our blessing to Erdoğan
13:04 Investigation to Peace Mothers who condemned attacks
03/03/2023
16:56 New application submitted by the families of Öcalan and other prisoners
14:37 Şenyaşar family: Minister is entering the back door to avoid us
14:26 Disabled citizens in a difficult situation
13:41 Earthquake Victim: We are in despair
13:14 Earthquake victims: We will not leave our country
10:48 'The solidarity of People is far ahead of the power of the state'
10:16 Islets in the Tigris River are occupied
02/03/2023
16:59 The fans who say ‘the government resign’
16:20 Şenyaşar family: Minister is entering the back door to avoid us
16:07 Lawyers of Öcalan submits new application for a visit in İmralı
16:02 Earthquake victims have no tents for 25th day of the earthquake
13:28 Lives of Kolbers are the triangle of death, poverty and punishment
11:09 Final declaration of the 'Freedom for Öcalan' conference announced
10:35 Airstrike from Turkey to the east of Kobanê
10:35 SDF: Turkey attacked 24 times in February, 4 civilians lost their lives
01/03/2023
15:55 8 persons detained in protest in Istanbul
15:28 A vehicle was bombed in Shengal
15:11 Şenyaşar family: Government cannot cover up the facts
14:59 Tents evacuated under pressure of 'bribes' and power outages
14:14 February war balance sheet
13:44 Turkey carried out at least 584 attacks in 22 days
12:48 3 patients in prison for 30 years in a family
11:49 IMO President: The reason for the destruction is 95 percent negligence
11:20 'Red Crescent committed a crime'
10:43 Death toll in earthquakes exceeded 45 thousand
10:41 Criminal complaint from TBB against Kızılay
28/02/2023
17:02 Lawyers filed a criminal complaint against Erdoğan and other responsible persons
16:47 Lawyers of Öcalan submits new application for a visit in İmralı
16:46 Şenyaşar family: We do not give our blessing to Erdoğan
16:32 'Freedom for Abdullah Öcalan' conference begins
16:28 Earthquake victims live on the street
16:26 People in Batman took to the streets against drugs
15:54 March 8 program of TJA and the Council of HDP Women been announced
15:31 TJA activists: We will heal our wounds together with solidarity
15:15 Earthquake stay in a moldy tent
09:55 There are 322 unaccompanied children under treatment
09:35 Criminal complaint from TİP against Erdoğan and other officials
27/02/2023
16:52 HDP to Erdogan: We do not give our blessing
16:30 Erdoğan, who made confessions, asks for blessing of people
15:54 Phosphorus bomb used 35 times
15:25 Iran opened fire on kolbers
15:11 Drone attack in Shengal