Two cancer patient left for dead in Turkish prison

  • actual
  • 14:45 7 January 2022
  • |
img
ANKARA - Elif Özdemir, who stated that her husband and sister, who have cancer and have been detained in prison for 22 years, were not released despite all their efforts, said that seriously ill prisoners were left for dead due to the biased reports of the ATK.
 
The pressure, violations of rights and ill-treatment in prisons in Turkey are increasing day by day, and sick prisoners who are left for dead are not released. Despite the reports given by hospitals that these prisoners can not maintain their live in prisons, the Forensic Medicine Institute (ATK) states that they can "remain in prison". 7 detainees lost their lives in prisons in the last month.
 
The struggle for the health and the right to life of ill prisoners, in addition to the ongoing struggle under the leadership of civil society and human rights organizations in many cities, families started the Justice Watch in Diyarbakır and Van. Relatives of the ill prisoners, coming from different cities, demanded the release of ill prisoners in Ankara.
 
2 CANCER PATIENTS IN PRISON
 
Erol Zavar (53) and Cihat Özdemir (51), who have cancer, have been in prison for 22 years. Despite all the attempts, hospital reports and calls, Zavar and Özdemir are not released. Zavar is being held in Bolu Type F Closed Prison while Özdemir is being held in Kırıkkale Type F Closed Prison. Erol Zavar and Cihat Özdemir were sentenced to life imprisonment at the Ankara State Security Court No. 2 (DGM) in 2000, for "attempting to change the constitutional order".
 
CANCER RELAPSED
 
Zavar, who was diagnosed with bladder cancer before entering prison, received treatment for a long time. While he was undergoing treatment, he was detained and arrested. In 2004, a campaign was organized by his lawyers, wife and relatives because we was not recieving any treatment in prison. With the effect of the campaign, he started his treatment in prison. Despite nine surgeries, his health deteriorated. In 2006, a new campaign was organized with the slogan "Don't let this light go out". The aim of this new campaign was for him to be released for cancer treatment. However, Zavar was not released despite all the calls. After being held in Eskişehir for a year, Zavar was transferred to Tekirdağ No. 1 Type F Prison. During this time, Zavar's cancer relapsed. Applications made by  Zavar's family for his treatment in a full-fledged hospital was rejected by the Ministry of Justice and the prison administration.
 
GÜL DID NOT USE AUTHORITY
 
As a result of continued attempts of Zavar's family to delay the execution, Zavar whose cancer relapsed was treated at the hospital for a while. The Turkish Medical Association (TTB) also followed the process, and as a result of the examinations they conducted, it gave a report that says Zavar can not maintain his life in prison and therefore should be released. Reports were sent to the President of the time, Abdullah Gul, but no result was obtained. The Forensic Medicine Institute (ATK) rejected the applications.
 
28 SURGERY IN 22 YEARS
 
After the campaign, Zavar was transferred to Edirne Type F Prison. For the first time, Zavar was sent to a separate prison from his relative Cihat Özdemir. His family applied for Zavar to be transferred to Ankara once again so that the treatment process could proceed in a healthy way. He was transferred from Edirne Type F Prison to Sincan Type F Prison due to the efforts of his family. After the July 15 coup attempt, Zavar was transferred to Bolu Type F Prison. Zavar is still being held in Bolu Type F Closed Prison and is not treated for cancer. Zavar underwent 28 surgeries during his 22-years in prison.
 
ÖZDEMİR WAS NOT TREATED DESPITE EARLY DIAGNOSIS
 
Cihat Özdemir, who was arrested with Zavar and kept in prison for 22 years, was transferred to Tekirdağ No. 1 Type F Prison after spending one year in Eskişehir Prison. Özdemir, who was transferred to Kırıkkale Prison upon the applications of Özdemir's family, was taken to the hospital due to the bad conditions in the prison. Despite the suspicion of thyroid cancer in 2017, Özdemir was sent to prison without further testing or any kind of treatment. After Özdemir was sent back to prison, he was hospitalized again in November 2019 as a result of his family's attempts. In 2019, Özdemir was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. However, because Özdemir was not treated in time, the cancer spread to his brain and kidneys. In December 2019, since the cancer was not treated, the vocal cords got damaged and he now has difficulty speaking.
 
HE ASKED FOR TREATED AND SENT TO SOLITARY CONFINEMENT FOR IT
 
Özdemir was sent solitary confinement three times for his actions to ensure that his treatment was carried out in healthy conditions. Özdemir, who should be released in 2031, due to these punishments, will be released in 2037.  Özdemir's family, requested Özdemir's release, who is on the İHD's seriously ill prisoner list.
 
THEY GOT CANCER IN PRISON
 
Cihan Özdemir's sister and Erol Zavar's file Elif Özdemir said: "Erol was being treated for cancer even before he went to prison. He survived cancer, but his treatment was incomplete. He got cancer again with the prison process. Their treatment in prisons is prevented. Many detainees lost their lives within a week because they were not treated. Cihat had Hepatitis B, damage in the middle ear, near the brain. His got worse in prison and now he has cancer. He is in critical condition now. He is not being properly treated in a clean and healthy environment. The treatment he recieves is a show. Many ill prisoners are in the same situation."
 
FORENSIC MEDICINE INSTITUDE SAYS HE IS WELL ENOUGH TO REMAIN IN PRISON
 
Özdemir said that the FMI, to which Özdemir and Zavar applied many times, gave a report that "they can remain in prison", and added: "Many people died as a result of these reports. This is really worrying us. We got a report from another hospital that says he can't maintain his life in prison and took it to the President at that time but they didn't take it into consideration. An additional article was added during the pandemic, for the release of detainees with serious illnesses. Is there a more serious disease than cancer? They don't respect their own laws. The FMI is a biased institution. People are left for dead by their hand.The law says that if you have arrested a person, you are responsible for protecting his or her bodily integrity. They would live if Turkey obeys its own laws. The authority of the FMI in this regard should be eliminated. If minor complaints of people in prison are taken seriously and treated, the number of detainees will not increase so much. There are many calls, but the state does not hear them and does not see people in prison as human beings. There is a situation of lawlessness. Ill prisoners should be released as soon as possible and receive the necessary treatment. This includes my husband and brother. We don't want more deaths in prison."
 
 
MA / Delal Akyüz

View More Articles

21/04/2023
14:21 Journalist accused without evidence
13:26 Yalçındağ: Turkey can be expelled from the Council of Europe
12:59 Call to voters abroad: One vote overthrows the dictator
12:32 Candidate of MP forcibly immigrated from his hometown
20/04/2023
15:33 Garê statement from HPG
15:13 İHD report: Prisoners were tortured and prevented from being released
14:59 Ferit Şenyaşar: The government that perpetrated should leave
14:23 In Edirne F Type, prisoners handcuffed to the stretcher
14:10 Youth: We will go to the polls to end captivity
13:49 Türkiye bombed Amêdiye villages
13:47 Application for visit of Ramadan Feast to İmralı
13:12 Çiçek Otlu: The Sivas Massacre was a turning point in my life
13:11 Birca Belek Association Co-Chair: We should not allow assimilation
09:22 Provocation warning from KCK
09:11 Attack on Ain Isa continues
19/04/2023
16:42 Black Sea Prisons report: All rights of prisoners are violated
15:25 Condemnation from his family to not giving the body of Akdoğan
14:56 Gökkan's 22 years and 6 months prison sentence upheld
14:22 TJA Spokesperson sentenced to 3 years and 9 months in prison
14:12 Karayılan: Democracy cannot develop in Turkey without resolving of the Kurdish Question
13:51 The word 'guerrilla' is accused of 'being a member of a terrorist organization'!
12:36 Agricultural women: Vote for Green Left Party for our labor
12:00 Altan: Being of journalist has been turned into an indictment like a crime
11:52 Attorney of Öcalan is a candidate from the Green Left Party
08:26 Êzidî representatives prevented from entering Shengal
08:19 Attack on Ain Isa
18/04/2023
16:59 Attack statement from HDP Representative Office about Türeli
16:29 Police could not identify the police
15:59 Journalist Güleş sentenced to 1 year and 9 months
15:45 From PUK to Barzani: Those who sell their real lands set up bases in Turkey
15:33 Autonomous Administration: Damascus government must take responsibility
15:03 Journalist İsmail Çoban sentenced to 1 year and 6 months in prison
14:25 'No vote for those who leave the workers below the hunger limit'
13:43 Lawyers of Öcalan submit new application for a visit in İmralı
13:33 Êzidî candidate Azad Barış: We will be the voice of all others
12:47 Call to attorneys: We should prevent unlawfulness in the election
11:07 Kalkan: Erdoğan has the relationship with the PKK the most
17/04/2023
16:56 May 14 message from arrested MPs Ata and Tuncel
16:21 Kirkuk elections statement from PUK
16:12 Decision to continue the detention of journalists
15:52 'Debris removal operations should be stopped'
15:30 Release of 12 prisoners in Bolu Prison postponed
15:06 60 million 697 thousand 843 people will vote
14:31 Criminal complaint about military violence
14:13 Tradesmen in Beyazsu left to their fate
14:11 Culture-art accusation against imprisoned journalist
13:15 Candidate, who was a lawyer for his family, goes to Parliament for the people
10:22 Amed candidate Eren: Öcalan is the solution of the Kurdish Question
10:02 Women: We will change this century
15/04/2023
16:29 Şenyaşar family: There is no recovery without justice